How to Allow Backorders in Magento 2?
A backorder means order for a product that is temporarily out of stock. In the E-commerce field, backorders are important to merchants as they don’t want to stop their customers from ordering products of their interests even if they are not available for the time being. E-commerce platforms provide options to configure backorders. In Magento 2, when a customer orders for a temporarily unavailable product, the payment is authorized but the shipping remains on hold until the product is available. Let’s see how to configure backorders in Magento 2.
Magento 2 provides backorder settings for the entire catalog (site level) as well as for specific products (product level).
Magento 2 Site Level backorders Configuration
The following steps will enable backorders for all products at the site level.
1. Login to admin panel, click Stores. Under Settings, choose Configuration.
2. Click Catalog, then choose Inventory.
3. Under Product Stock Options, locate Backorders. Clear the Use System Value checkbox to see the following three options.
No Backorders: Select this if you don’t want to accept orders for out of stock products
Allow Qty Below 0: Select this if you accept backorders
Allow Qty Below 0 and Notify Customer: Selecting this will allow backorders and notify customers that the product is out of stock
When done, click Save Config.
The default Magento 2 backorders configuration only allows you to choose whether to accept backorders in your store or not. For more advanced options like displaying the availability date, a countdown timer, customizing the “Add to Cart” button, and many other useful features, use the recommended Magento 2 backorder extension by FME. This extension offers the following extra features.
· Enables pre-order for upcoming & back-order for out of stock products
· Allows you to replace “Add to Cart” with “Pre Order” or “Back Order” button
· Displays product availability date & custom message
· Displays a customizable countdown timer
· Offers pre order products on discount
· Customers can cancel their pre-orders
· Compatible with configurable, grouped and bundle products